A lot of people ask the question, “Can I use any other bike with the peloton app?” and the answer is, “Yes, you can.” Yes, because you definitely can even get a memorable riding experience. The peloton app can be used with a number of bikes from other manufacturers, as long as the bikes are well-suited.
How can I know if my bike is perfect for a peloton app?
That is a good question. You need to make sure that your bike is compatible with the peloton app before you start using it. So, what should you consider before you start using Peloton’s cycling app to cycle with with your bike?
- Bluetooth: You need your bike to have Bluetooth connectivity; the peloton app requires connectivity in order to work with a spin bike.
- Resistance: Peloton app was originally built for peloton bikes. And peloton bikes offer a 100-level-magnetic resistance. So, if your bike offers magnetic resistance, then it is good to go. If it doesn’t, you can still use the Peloton app. However, a bike with this form of resistance is more advantageous.
- Tracking: Peloton app is an app that provides you with an instructor. It will be helpful if your bike has a data display monitor for metrics like cadence, resistance levels, speed, and more. The instructor usually suggests the right speed and cadence levels for your workouts.
Disadvantages of Using another Bike Instead of a Peloton Bike with the App
Just as we listed above, a peloton app and a peloton bike will always beat any other experience you may have with another bike. Unless the bike has all the details a peloton bike has. So let’s take a look at the shortcomings of using a non-peloton bike with the peloton app.
- Resistance: I know I said so long as your bike has resistance, you could use the peloton app. But it is best suited with a peloton bike because the resistance level is perfectly synchronized between the app and the bike. Levels of resistance are not always the same in different bike brands. For instance, a Bowflex C6 and a peloton bike are not the same; a level 5 on Bowflex is a level 25 on a Peloton bike.
- Leaderboards: Peloton bikes have leaderboards for riders while riding and competing with one another. It allows them to get shout outs from their instructors.
- Metrics Trackers: The peloton app has the metrics tracker, but with a non-peloton bike without this, it won’t record your speed and cadence because this same feature is not incorporated into your bike.
- Extra devices are needed: Because the peloton app is not synced with your non-peloton bike, you will need your mobile phone or any extra gadgets so you can use the Peloton app while cycling.
Best Spin Bikes to Use with a Peloton App
Keiser M3i is one of the best bikes that blend well with the Peloton app under commercial ratings. It has a 24-level magnetic resistance and features a belt drive system.
Keiser builds all its products in the United States with highest possible quality. They are a household name, and they offer some of the best commercial spin bikes that you can trust.
The IC4 spin bike is compatible with the peloton app. Schwinn designed the IC4 to be very compatible with the peloton app. IC4 is one of the best indoor cycling bikes you can find with Schwinn. And it doesn’t only work with the Peloton app; you can also use the IC4 bike with other apps, like Zwift.
The Schwinn IC4 has a magnetic resistance; it comes with a feature that allows you to stream the peloton workout during your cycling session. They have other features such as LB dumbbells, and it simply is very compatible with the peloton app.
Just like the Schwinn IC4, which is basically the same kind of bike as the Bowflex C7, the Bowflex comes with a variety of features just like the IC4.
And it is very compatible with the peloton app as well as other cycling apps like Zwift and Sufferfest. But it is a little bit more costly than the Schwinn IC4 bike.
The first outstanding feature of the Horizon IC7 is that it is higher quality relative to some of the other bikes we’ve discussed. This spin bike has the features required to comfortably use the peloton app; it is very durable. So, you don’t have to worry about getting a replacement for it in a few years.
It is compatible with most kinds of biking apps because it was specifically designed for workout apps. The IC7 bike has a tablet holder, a cadence, and a speed tracker with reliable feedback.
The echelon EX15 is a very trustworthy bike, and if you’re looking for a reliable bike you can use with the peloton app or any other kind of riding app, the echelon is a good option. It comes with all of the key features you’ll require. As we’ve already mentioned, it works seamlessly with the Peloton app.
The VeloCore bike 22 is one of Bowflex’s newest upgrades. It has the same features as the C7, but it also features an inbuilt HD touchscreen, as well as a compatible lean-in mode.
Sunny Health has a number of bike types you can choose from. They have the right features for a peloton app. The SF-B1805 is less costly than most other indoor cycling bikes. It has a nice heavy flywheel over 43lbs plus belt drive device and features magnetic resistance.
This bike comes with a belt for support and magnetic resistance. It has been chosen and used by many riders in place of peloton bikes, but with the peloton app. One area where it falls short is the cadence; you will need extra cadence to use the bike with the peloton app.
Setting Up the Peloton App with a Non-Peloton Bike
Peloton app is suitable for android and iPhone. To set up, simply create an account, connect the app to your bike and synchronize any trackers necessary. And that’s basically it; you’re all set.
We are Rounding off
Before you buy a spin bike to use with the peloton app, look out for the following features.
- Monitor and tablet holder
- Magnetic resistance
- Tracker for cadence and other key metrics
- Weight holder
- A decent flywheel
- Bluetooth and wifi connectivity
- SPD pedals
There are lots of indoor bikes out there that are compatible with the peloton app. You just have to choose one that’s perfect for you regarding budget and the other factors we’ve discussed. And we hope this article helps make your decision-making easier.